I’ve been working on the cabin top since we arrived here just about and I finally know how I’m going to go about fixing it. So far I’ve cleaned out most of the rotten wood I could find and tore off the trim pieces that seemed to play a major roll in the moisture seepage. Shea and I have also spent some time scraping the old paint off, though we still have a lot to go before I think it will be ready to begin the rebuild portion.
After talking with the yard boss about it and getting some ideas going I’ve finally settled on cleaning the entire top of everything including the vents, hatches, and paint. Once everything is cleaned off I’m going to laminate some new plywood in place of what needs to be removed then fiberglass the entire top and rap it down to the steel cabin sides. Once all that is finished nicely, I plan to wrap the entire thing with teak so the fiberglass won’t peel or allow water to come back up behind it. I plan to get some pictures of the project and keep things updated along the process.