Shea had been taking a break from looking for boats online as had I. We turned our focus to preparing for a backpack departure and had been trying to get the odds and ends that would benefit us in the endeavor as well as getting rid of as much as possible.
I began to get the itch for a sailboat again (like always) and I looked a little, Shea jumped right back into it and began making contact with sellers on potential boats using the criteria I had set as the “bare minimum” requirements that I desired the boat to have. During her search she found a steel hull sailboat on the east coast in Virginia. I shied off a little as it was on the wrong coast from where we were and steel being what I had worked on for the past five years just didn’t jump out at me at first. The more I thought though the more it appealed to me and the information we were getting back from the broker seemed promising. With Shea’s persistent drive and my never ending scrutiny we continued little by little. It wasn’t very long and I had enough information to (with a little needed encouragement) buy that plane ticket and fly out to check out the boat. Now expenses were something I never discard and thinking it was going to cost an arm and a leg just for lodging and transportation once I was in town I fretted a little. I kept my optimistic view though and posted on Facebook asking if there was anyone that knew of a place I could crash while I was out there, hoping that my navy buddies may help out. Well it didn’t take long, only a couple hours after the ask for help, a friend responded back offering his spare room and even the use of his truck for the small favor of watching His and his Wife’s dogs. I gladly jumped at the opportunity he allowed me and it worked out very smoothly.
While in Virginia I was able to help my buddy out around the house some and we caught up and just had a good time. When I needed to make trips up to the boat for the first look and inspection done by me, then the fallow up survey, He had no reservations in offering his truck. It was very kind of him and I couldn’t have been more thankful.
So after looking it over and rolling it around I was trying to suppress the excitement I was feeling so I wouldn’t make a rash decision. I kept the logical mind present through the entire event and could not find a good reason to throw this boat back as the owner and I poked around and conversed. He was very pleasant and seemed to know what he was talking about, he wanted to point out any defect he knew of. He genuinely cared I felt, that goes a long way in my book. It wasn’t long and I was trying to figure out why I shouldn’t buy the boat, the survey was complete and I had my warm and fuzzy that I had wanted from that. I felt pretty good from the first day I had poked around it by myself looking in every nook and cranny that I could find, the decision was made.
We set the appointment up and met the day before I flew back to Washington. I purchased the boat and was surprised at how little paperwork I had to do as apposed to the previous owners (now). They even invited Shea and I out for dinner when we get back out there to do the little work that is needed and outfit “FULL MOON” for her first voyage under her new skipper.
I’m happy to have made some new friends and I think this boat was worth the wait.
Now Shea and I are going through everything trying to figure out what we need on the boat and what we “want” on the boat then the rest gets the boot with a few things getting stored for possible use later. We have been making the “boat” pile and trying to add what may go then reducing it down over and over again. It’s getting there and I’m getting as excited as I usually get about things. I seldom jump for joy or tell others of how excited I am, I think Shea is taking care of it for both of us right now though!